Tuesday, May 31, 2011

1/2

I know I haven't written in forever (hyperbole meaning: months). It's actually a little awkward to write again, but I will be tough and I feel like sharing some important things in my life:

I am almost halfway done with my VISTA experience in Casper. It's weird to think about, it really feels like I have only been here a month. Time passes very interestingly for me right now. The days are slow. The weeks are fast. The months are slow. The year is fast. Weird how that works, but that describes it pretty well. I am very excited to be moving on to the next chapter of my life soon (it will be here faster than I expect it to). I am also scared about having to plan out the move and trying to find a job again. I am anxious about all the stress I will be going through about the move (it's the worst to have anxiety about stress that has yet to come). I know that I will be sad to leave though. I have come very far in these few months and I hope to grow at a fast rate for the second half.

I realized something interesting the other day...I don't hate Wyoming. I complain about Wyoming all the time. It's something constant, every time I have an opportunity to say something horrible about Wyoming, I take it. I think I have gotten caught up in my reputation to hate it here. People around me (at work and home) expect me to hate it, so I keep on hating it. I was in the car the other day and thought about how pretty it is here. Everything is turning green (finally) and there is barely any snow left on the mountain. I actually found myself excited to spend my summer here, which really really surprised me. I compare Wyoming to California all the time, and honestly it isn't fair. No, it's not better here than California and it never will be. That's okay though, there is so much to experience here that I never will in California. I need to start looking at every day as an exciting adventure. I think my change of attitude will help the way I live my life for the second half of the year.


At work today, I was asked to write a mission statement for a meeting we have coming up in a week. This is what I came up with, and I am very proud of it. I hope I can live up to it.

"I will seek knowledge. Learning is how you grow and if you aren't growing, you aren't living.
I will create things. I can create anything with my imagination and I will use it every day.
I will be thankful. There are millions of things around me that I am not thankful enough for.
I will not fear everything. If I fear everything in my life, it will take away from my experience.
I will never forget where I am going and where I have been. This will only make me stronger.
I will love. I will love when things are good or bad. When I am happy or sad. When I laugh or cry. I will keep loving until the day I die."

I have started making monthly goals for myself that are reviewed at the end of every month. Today was the first time to read over the goals to see what I have accomplished and what I still need to work on. I was actually excited to see the progress I made in a month. I did a lot better than I thought I would have. It truly is amazing what you can accomplish in a month.
Things I accomplished:
-To only eat one frozen meal a week (a.k.a. chicken nuggets). I managed to go a whole month without eating any frozen food.
-To exercise every day. Getting my bike greatly helped with this one.
-To be more productive and procrastinate less.
-To only buy things on my grocery list.
-To cook more often. I did the best at this one, I have been cooking something almost every day.
-To watch less tv. I was doing really well at this, until I started watching Grey's Anatomy. I still see it as an accomplishment though because I am watching less.
-Leave my door open at home and at work. I tend to shut people off by shutting my door when it doesn't need to be shut and I shut my door less often now.

My new goals (which include goals I didn't accomplish):
-Work on building good relationships with the people I work with (much harder than I thought it would be).
-Get my jump rope program to run smoothly.
-Exercise every day. This is an ongoing goal, and that is why it's on the list again.
-Ride my bike to work more often, hopefully every day.
-Be able to work without people giving me lists and things to do.
-Read every day.
-Talk on the phone less.
-Create one art piece every month.
-Spend more time outside of my room when I am at home.
-Give 110% with everything I do.
-Get things done.
-Finish what I start.
-Ask for help.
-Discover things.

So, those are my goals for this month and I really hope to do well and keep up with them. I have them posted in my office, so I will see them every day.
This was kind of a long post, but it had been a while. I say this all the time, but hopefully I will be writing more often. I get caught up in other things. It is nice to stop and write though. I do enjoy it.

Much love,
Meg

1 comment:

  1. Megan, this was an excellent post! I like your writing, truly. It's good to know that you are doing well, and your goals are great! I need to exercise more... But I've been doing artsy stuff quite a bit and it's really nice. And I've started cooking, too! I'm pretty decent, but I could use some practice. It's hard to find time in between work and school, but I'm figuring it out. I've been making chicken salad (with grapes, apples and celery) sandwiches for lunch a lot and that has been a huge success!
    Anyway, love you!

    ReplyDelete